Saturday, October 17, 2009

Who what where and Rennes

Today, my flatmates and I took a day trip to Rennes, the capital city of Bretagne and only a one-hour train ride from St-Brieuc. I'd gone to Rennes just two weeks ago, but didn't get to see much because I was too busy meetin' and greetin' the other English assistants at a big crêperie gathering. Luckily, I'd remembered where the major things were, so it helped as we maneuvered around a town about three times bigger than ours.






There are loads of these buildings all around Brittany made with colorful timber frames. They crookedly lovely, but I'm afraid one little earthquake will knock 'em all down!





For lunch, we went to a crêperie in the Place Sainte-Anne and noshed on galettes and cidre, typical of local cuisine. I think cidre has to be the only chilled drink I'd take in a mug. Afterwards, we perused the used book market.





I'd just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's (or Diamants sur Canapé, as it is known in French) all the way through for the first time and saw this cat that reminded me of Cat from the movie:





I also bought a million (OK, more like 20-30) postcards in Rennes. I don't know how this happened, since I'm not a particular aficionado of postcards. But as we went into the papeteries and postcard shops, I found myself accumulating more and more postcards. Some are new, some are very old, not all are in French or of French things. Whatever. I adore them and that's reason enough, n'est-ce pas?




Back to the grind after tomorrow. Ciaoooo mon amour~

No comments:

Post a Comment